Sunday, October 24, 2010

Karaoke and Anime









After another long week of memorizing textbook passages, listening to tapes of spoken Chinese, and writing essays, I had the pleasure of experiencing a truly magical weekend in which I got to see several aspects of modern Taiwanese culture.

On Friday night, I went with 20 of my classmates to a Karaoke club in the Jingmei neighborhood. Karaoke, which consists of singing along to music as lyrics flash across a screen, is immensely popular in Taiwan, Korea, China, and its country of origin - Japan. We had a lot of fun.

Saturday on my way to the gym I noticed several hundred people walking around campus dressed in elaborate costumes. As it turns out, National Taiwan University was hosting its annual anime symposium where fans of Japanese animation and graphic novels can dress up in costumes, watch performances, win prizes, buy rare items, and buy art, bags, and clothing inspired by their favorite anime series. It was very interesting. Here are some photos from the event:


No comments:

Post a Comment