Friday, September 24, 2010

Answer to Light Fellowship's Weekly Prompt

Prompt: Why spend so much time overseas? Are you worried somehow that you are missing out on something back at Yale? And if this is your second or third Light Fellowship, why go overseas for language study multiple times? Isn’t once enough?

Living in another country gives you a new perspective on your own country. You can learn about a new culture, see a different way matters are handled, and of course hone language skills that are essential both at home and abroad.

Yale has existed for over three hundred years. It will still be there when I return. Many of my classmates, most of my professors, and most of the classes, activities, clubs, and programs that were there when I left will still be there when I return. Studying abroad and more importantly living abroad as a student is an amazing once in a lifetime opportunity.

Last summer, I went to Beijing to study Chinese.The experience was amazing and gave me a chance to learn a lot about another culture, language, and country. However, living in Taiwan is giving me an opportunity to learn about yet another perspective. I am also learning traditional characters here, which is essential for reading anything published before 1949, published in Taiwan, or in many overseas Chinese communities. Most importantly, my Chinese is now at a much higher level than it was last summer. I am able to do more, talk to more people, and experience more than I ever could have last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment